[guispeak] Fw: some links and announcements

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guispeak" <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <BLIND-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:42:10 -0500

>> Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, February 10, 2005
>>
>> We can now purchase Window-Eyes and other Gw Micro products online at

http://www.gwmicro.com.
Also, new Window-Eyes purchasers or upgraders
>> who
>> live in the U.S. and are not already members of the Bookshare service can
>> get $25 off their subscription to Bookshare.
>>
>> There is now a mailing list to discuss accessing the web using browsers
>> other than Internet Explorer.  To join, send a message to

webwithout-ie-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
and put the word subscribe in the
> subject.
>>
>> Alan Cantor presents a two-part workshop, Gears for your PC: More Speed
> and
>> Less Sweat with Macros Windows Macro 2-part Clinic, on Thursdays 17
>> February and 1 March March at 18:00 GMT.  Registering for the free class
>> will also get you links to the recording in case you can't be there for
> the
>> live version.  Learn more about the class at

http://www.cantoraccess.com/upcoming.htm#easimacros2005,
and register at

http://easi.cc/forms/macro.htm.

http://www.bluegrasspals.com/blindapple.

http://www.rwfts.com/

>> Don Barrett recommends the
http://www.hrblock.com/
site for filing U.S.

http://www.webturbotax.com/

>> I'm a sucker for number and word logic games, so I wasted some time
> playing
>> Cryple, a free little game where each of the digits from 1-0 is
> represented
>> by a letter, and it's up to you to deduce which letter stands for which
>> digit based on aritimetic problems.  the game works with JFW and
>> Window-Eyes.  I've prepared a 15-minute audio file explaining it, to
>> justify my wasting time playing it.  You can get the audio file at

http://www.topdotenterprises.com/cryple.mp3,
(you might want to
http://www.topdotenterprises.com/cryple.exe.

http://www.audioblog.com/playweb?player=2&audioid=P554ba7ce13e919d29e9bb7475d283d48ZV56QlREYmF9&buffer=5&autoplay=1&fcolor=CCFF33&bcolor=FFFFFF&size=20.

>> The good online radio service I mentioned last week probably didn't work
>> for you, since I mistyped the link.  It is
www.accuradio.com.
Living
> proof
>> of why it is best to copy and paste!
>>
>> the OPAL program on the Froogle Online Shopper is already in the archives
>> at
http://www.opal-online.org/archivetraining.htm.
You can attend a live

http://www.tcconference.com/lib?auditorium&nopass_field=1.

>> Both JFW and window-Eyes enable us to view our misspelled words as we
>> read
>> through a document, but this doesn't really approach the information
>> received by sighted users, who can be warned instantly if the spell
> checker
>> doesn't recognize a word.  One free program I know that gives us that
>> functionality is TinySpell, which puts itself in the system tray and
>> beeps
>> when something you type, in any application, isn't in its dictionary.
>> You
>> can download the program at

http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/tisp13.zip
or view the home
>> page
http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/
If you try it and

jen@xxxxxxxxxx

>> Audio Enriched Links now works with JFW 6.0!  This handy free JAWS add-on
>> lets you look into links on the web which may not speak properly to find
>> out what the link is really about before visiting it.  Under some
>> circumstances, AEL drastically improves access to difficult web pages.
> You
>> can get Version 1.42, which works with both JFW versions 5.x and 6, at

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/ael.
Peter Parente invites feedback and
>> suggestions at
mailto:parente@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.whatifsports.com
allows visitors to simulate games between any
>> two teams from history in all popular American sports and generate box
>> scores and game recaps.
http://www.sportsjuice.com
streams lots of minor
>> league and amateur American and Canadian sports events.  One
>> enterprising,
>> and perhaps too idle, gentleman has simulated an 80-team baseball
>> tournament, featuring his versions of the 80 greatest teams of all time,
>> and is then broadcasting the resulting games via sportsjuice.  The City
>> of
>> Brotherly Love might (or might not) be abuzz when, beginning Saturday 12
>> February at 01:00 GMT, he broadcasts the game between the 1980 Phillies
> and
>> the 1993 Phillies.
>>
>> Two search engines that are accessible and could replace Google for some
>> searches are
http://www.answers.com
and
http://search.msn.com/
MSN allows
>> for searching Encarta for free, and answers.com searches dictionaries and
>> encyclopedias as well as the web.
>>
>> And seconds before this newsletter was to be e-mailed, news came in that
>> Dolphin Systems has released version 6.5 of their screen reader and
>> magnification programs.  New features include fractional magnification,
> pdf
>> document reading, PowerPoint support, keyboard customization, line view
>> mode, more power with Internet Explorer, and keyboard layouts for other
>> screen readers.  For more information, visit
http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/

or

www.dolphinusa.com