[guide.chat] did any of you do this.

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:21:24 -0000

Hi Jude, oooops, I mean June. Good old dripping butties. Can't beet them can
you.We had outs every Sunday if we had beef. Still say you can't beet my jelly
butties. hehehehe.

Did you ever go coal picking off the  railway lines at night. People near me
use to go out at night with prams and collect any bits of coal they could find
so we could have a proper fire instead of just burning anything you got your
hands on. I remember my dad broke a chair up once to make a fire because we
were all freezing.Do you remember the shovel and piece of news paper  across
the shovel to get the fire going. Come on all you old timers. show these young
ones what they missed.

love Malcolm. xxx.

Hi Vanessa
I well remember having dripping butties as we call it in the north. My mam used
to do it quite a lot with the meat, and make the gravy from the fat of the meat
and preserve what she didn't use. No, I think the doctors would throw scorn on
dripping on bread. There wasn't much wasted when I was a kid as there were
twelve of us, so we couldn't pick and choose what we had for meals. I think Dad
grew some of his vegetables, and Mam and some of my brothers used to go down to
a local farm and in the summer time pick peas and in the autumn pick potatoes.
That was way back in the sixties.
Well, I've given my age away, but it is interesting to know whether other
people still remember the way we lived in those bygone days.
from
June
from Liverpool.

-----