[guide.chat] My roller ball white stick

  • From: "Sally" <se.wooller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:00:34 -0000

Hi Everyone,

On reading an email from Sarah, today, reminded me what happened when visiting
my friend Kim in Hove which is near to Brighton about 10 or 15 years ago now.
 I used to travel on the bus from Eastbourne to Hove when I  visited my Dentist
and always used to visit Kim as well, afterwards.  The bus stop was right
outside Kim's block of flats, where she lived and there were quite a lot of
steps with a rail, thank goodness.  My white stick has a roller ball on the end
and I started to feel my way up the steps, holding on to the rail, as I went.
I only has walked about four steps and I managed to get the roller ball, lodged
in a hole in the step.  I thought, I'd just lift it out.  Not on your nelly.  A
couple of minutes, started to be about ten minutes and more.  Kim, came down to
see what the matter was and started to pull on my stick too.
It just so happened, that there was a removal firm, taking furniture up to the
block of flats at the same time and we still were pulling at the stick, both of
us hysterically giggling and both of us pulling at the same time.  What people
may have seen on one of the buses waiting at the bus stop, might have thought
it to be a joke but Kim and I came to the conclusion that we just had to ask
the removal men for help.  It only took a second or two for one man to dislodge
it, hurrah!  Removal men, not only remove furniture but remove white sticks too.
Has anyone else got any stories about a  white stick that has a mind of its
own, too?!

TTFN
Sally