[guide.chat] Listen Again on Guide

  • From: "Anthony Wade" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guide.support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:02:18 -0000

Hi Guys,

As many of you are aware, the BBC recently made some changes to the Listen
Again facility for radio shows. Dolphin is rarely informed in advance of any
changes that they make and this was unexpected to us. Unfortunately the
changes which they made resulted in the facility becoming inaccessible to
Guide users - some of you will have experienced problems trying to use the
Listen Again feature recently. We have been communicating with the head of
accessibility in the BBC (who recently took over the role) to discuss
methods we might use to fix things for our users. Dolphin has now written a
fix that will enable Guide users to listen to, play and stop radio shows,
this partial fix will be available in version 6.0.28. (Update version 6.0.27
is currently going through internal testing, after which will be able to
test the new BBC fix and then send it out to you).

We would like to apologise for the frustrations and inconveniences this
issue has likely caused you, and would reassure you that we have worked to
resolve it as soon as possible. As you can imagine it is very frustrating
for Dolphin, especially the team of developers who are dedicated to working
full-time on the Guide software.

In the meantime, there is a workaround which you can use to access your
favourite radio shows (thank you to Paul Benson for posting this on the
forum this week). Details below.

All you need to do it visit the BBC website and find the Listen Again page
for your programme. Each BBC station has it's own web address such as:
www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 OR www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 Once you are on the main page
for the radio station navigate to the 'Programmes' list and click the link
for the programme you want. Then when on the Programme page, find the
'Listen Again' link. Unfortunately, using the web browser, then there is no
way to access the playback controls, so the volume output is fixed, and
there is no way to skip forward and backward, but for some it will be better
than not listening at all.

Regards

Anthony Wade

Technical Support

cid:image001.gif@01CAC068.123F4AB0
Dolphin Computer Access
The Old Bakery
5 Station Road
Ushaw Moor
Durham, UK.
DH7 7PX

Phone: 0845 22 55 005
Fax: 0191 373 44 22
Web:  <http://www.dolphinguide.com/> www.DolphinGuide.com
Email:  <mailto:Anthony.wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Anthony.Wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  <http://www.yourdolphin.com/news.xml> Subscribe to the Dolphin news RSS
  <http://www.twitter.com/yourdolphin> Follow Dolphin on Twitter

"Dolphin Guide" - Easy to use and affordable computer access software for
blind and partially sighted users, backed up by friendly technical support
services.

Dolphin Computer Access, Registered in England No. 5600063 Registered
Office: Technology House, Blackpole Estate West, Worcester, WR3 8TJ

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely
for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions
expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of "Dolphin Computer Access". If you are not the intended recipient of
this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor
must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error.

GIF image