[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Yummy 4©but funny butties

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:56:03 -0000

Oh I Vanessa, I remember it well. Me and my dad use to wait till my mum had
gone up stairs then he would get the roasting tin out and we would grab a
couple of butties and dip them in the hot fat and then put plenty of salt on
them. Yummy. I think my mum new though because she would say to me. What's all
that grease round your mouth. Me like a fool fell for it every time. As soon as
she said it I wiped my mouth and gave it away.

But in those days nearly every garden grow their own spuds, veg of all kinds as
well as tomatoes and cucumbers etc. We had a massive big garden and we worked
it from sun rise to night fall. At least it felt that way. So every other house
kept chickens. So people would swap veg or spuds for eggs and chickens.

So every Sunday  was a meat dinner and Sunday night salad for tea. Everyone had
to sit at the dinner table with a table cloth and all the salad was from the
garden. Then we had fruit and cream or condensed milk and cake to follow.

Monday to Saturday was pot luck. You got what you could or go without
sometimes. Oh I. hard times. How would that grab you Clare. no sweets and
forget the chocolate, no chance. But they were good days, wouldn't swap them. I
would like my pet rabbit back though. My dad gave it to my uncle because his
family had no food. Could have taken my brother's rabbit. Bugger.

love Malcolm. xxxx.

do any of you older food lovers remember with fondness the old favourite of
having bread and dripping for tea, for the younger folks on here it was a
cheap way to get your grease fix, dripping was the cold leftover fat from your
meat cooked for the sunday roast, my mum would take the joint of meat out from
the dish, use some of the hot fat to make gravy , this was before instant gravy
granules, the rest of the fat was put in a dish and when it was cold and solid
we used to spread it on bread for our sunday tea, you can't get proper dripping
now and anyway the doctors wouldn't advise you to eat it  but it was really
tasty and a cheap way to save butter , what do you think kids would say to
eating it now, as a family we lived in the country and used to eat rabbit and
pigeon, we had very little money so nothing was wasted, we had an allotment for
our vegetables and potatoes so was always helping to do the digging and
weeding, also had to help peel and prepare the food so got used to eating all
sorts and leaving nothing on the plate, my kids were bought up to help with all
things around the house and garden so got used to my way of cooking, they got
to try all sorts of recipes and as you may remember Steve and I still do all of
our own meals, had to relearn how to peel and cook things in a safe way after
losing my sight but it's a good sskill to have and we get the grand kids to
help us when they come to stay, if you make it fun it helps them to learn  for
when they are older,my oldest grandson is doing catering as an exam course and
he said that it is thanks to us because he helped us in the kitchen which
showed him an interest, take care for now, Vanessa the Saints reporter x x

-----