[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] The old days

  • From: "JunePorter" <june.porter9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:13:55 +0100

Well my trip down memory lane concerned the days when the first electric
washing machines were around. I was on holiday sitting in the back garden, and
not having heard a machine washing, I got the most awful fright when it started
up. My father asked me if I liked the noise, to which I replied that I didn't
as it gave me a fright. I must have only been seven or eight at the time. I
also recall living in a four-bedroom house and my mother using a noisy mangle
which could be heard from right at the top of the stairs to where the back
kitchen was.
Instead of my brothers and sisters being taken in the car to school, they would
all go together, along with their friends and walk from our house over to the
village or to a school near to the hospital. Life these days is a luxury to
what it was in the 'fifties and 'sixties.
That's my childhood memory.
from
June.