[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Guide Dogs

  • From: "Claire Rush" <snout221b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Angela Robson" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:49:59 +0100

Hi All!
        Like you Angie, I usually let the taxi firm know that I've got a Guide
dog with me on the rare occasions we travel by taxi.  I usually find this gives
the driver a chance to put the seat back or give the job to another driver if
it's a "strictly no dog" car.

        When I went to London last year I didn't have any taxi firm numbers so
got someone to call a cab for me.  When the taxi arrived the driver was adamant
that I wasn't going to get inside with my dog but a complete stranger stopped
to intervene and quoted the Disability Discrimination Act.  I was quite
grateful for his assistance because otherwise I would have been stranded in an
unfamiliar area.  The driver didn't argue once the law was quoted but insisted
on lining the whole cab with grease-proof paper.  This took several minutes in
addition to the lengthy debate which meant that I missed my coach at Victoria
Coach Station!

        It was all quite stressful and I haven't been brave enough to try it
again.  But apparenty Norman Baker the minister for Transport has stepped in to
remind drivers that it's illegal to refuse well-behaved Guide dogs entry on
public transport.  The  Muslim Council of Britain has also urged tolerance
among Muslim drivers as some branches of Islam have no problem with Guide dogs.
 (In fact the Islamic Council has issued a fatwa allowing Guide dogs into
mosques).

        So I think it's a case of politely pointing out the facts (as you say
Angie!) to people who seem reluctant to allow Guide dogs entry. Hopefully the
issue will get resolved so that we'll just be able to carry on doing everyday
things without obstruction.

        Cheers!
        Claire