[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Guide Dogs

  • From: Angela Robson <arobson227@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "david freathy" <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:27:47 +0100

Hi David and everyone,

I have never had a problem getting on a bus in London with my very large guide
dog.  The drivers usually don't say a word to me good or bad and i just either
hope to find a seat or often hold onto the bar and stand.

I was asked to leave Lidl on Lavendar Hill, Clapham about ten days ago as the
ethnic person was trying to tell me he would not allow dogs in his shop.  I
soon put him right and said they did admit guide dogs.  He incidentally was the
manager.  He still persued me saying, "No Dogs in Here," but another ethnic
assistant then told him that yes, "We do let guide dogs in."

I hate it when this happens and London is usually worse than anywhere else
because of the vast numbers of foreigners in the capital who do not understand
what a guide dog is.  I always stand my ground, am polite but firm and go on my
way.  I agree though David we can well do without this kind of thing as it is
hard enough getting around without these problems.  When i order a taxi, I
always tell the firm I have a guide dog with me. This doesn't guarantee you
won't get a muslim driver but its more than likely you won't.

Cheers,

Angie