[guide.chat] In Reply To: Elizabeth

  • From: "anne bradley" <anne.bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>, "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:34:42 +0100

Hi everyone,

Just trying to catch up and have found the following.

 TRIO of Leigh connected people have been recognised in the Queen's New Year's
Honours List.
Swimming club volunteer Mavis Bent, poet and writer Lemn Sissay and ex-Bedford
High School teacher Elizabeth Kay have been awarded the MBE.
The oldest recipient, 92-year-old Mrs Kay, said she was pleased but a little
overwhelmed by her recognition.
The co-founder and project leader of the Bolton University of the Third Age she
became a volunteer tutor after retiring as an English teacher at the Leigh
school and lectured students in English, literature, poetry, creative writing
and art appreciation for 20 years.

Mrs Kay, of Astley Bridge, who received her award for voluntary service to
adult education, said: "I'm a bit bemused by it all. I don't feel that what
I've done is remarkable."

Carol should be a happy girl as Andy has got his gold.
Hope you're all having fun as we are.
Love,

Anne.