[gsis_admins] Re: Fwd: Superintendent Woods Releases Statement on Age of Eligibility Legislation

  • From: Denise Epperson <denise.epperson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsis_admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:27:29 -0500

Oh yes he is.

Denise Epperson

Administrative Technology

Griffin-Spalding County Schools

P: 770-229-3710 x315

F: 770-229-3708

Disclaimer For Griffin Spalding County Schools "The information transmitted
is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers."

From: *Matt Cardoza* <MCardoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Subject: Superintendent Woods Releases Statement on Age of Eligibility
Legislation
To: denise.epperson@xxxxxxxx

If you have trouble viewing this press release, please click on the
following link:
http://www.gadoe.org/External-Affairs-and-Policy/communications/Pages/PressReleaseDetails.aspx?PressView=default&pid=274

*Superintendent Woods Releases Statement on Age of Eligibility Legislation*

MEDIA CONTACT: Matt Cardoza, GaDOE Communications Office, (404) 651-7358,
mcardoza@xxxxxxxxx or Meghan Frick, GaDOE Communications Office, (404)
656-5594, mfrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/gadoenews/> and Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/GaDOE>

*January 28, 2015 – *State School Superintendent Richard Woods’ statement
regarding House Bill 100
<http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/145919.pdf>:

“I wholeheartedly support House Bill 100,” said Superintendent Woods.
“Since most schools now start before September 1, we have many students
starting kindergarten far too young. Some younger students, especially
four-year-olds, are not developmentally ready for kindergarten. Oftentimes
their presence in a classroom requires teachers to provide pre-kindergarten
services to the disadvantage of the older students who are ready to learn
at the kindergarten level and achieve the high academic standards we have
in Georgia.”

State Board of Education Chair Helen Rice added, “I believe moving the age
of eligibility for kindergarten back will have a positive impact on student
achievement. The lack of kindergarten readiness of late four-year-olds and
early five-year-olds is exacerbated by the fact that many of these children
have had no prior school experience. The more time they have to mature
before starting kindergarten the better.”

Superintendent Woods first proposed this issue during his campaign. He
reiterated his commitment to the idea of advancing the cutoff date for
kindergarten registration when he spoke to the Georgia School Boards
Association in early December.

Matt Cardoza
Director of Communications

Georgia Department of Education

2062 Twin Towers East

205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE

Atlanta, GA  30334

(404) 651-7358

mcardoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.gadoe.org

*“Educating Georgia’s Future”*

[image: Description: Description: cid:image002.png@01CEB48B.6C836F90]
<http://www.facebook.com/gadoe>  [image: Description: Description:
<http://twitter.com/gadoenews>  [image: Description: Description:
<http://www.youtube.com/gadoemedia>  [image: Description: Description:
<http://instagram.com/gadeptofed>  [image: Description: Description:
<http://pinterest.com/georgiadoe>

This message is intended only for the specified recipients. If you are not
distributing, or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited. This communication represents the
originator's personal views, which may not reflect those of Pike County
Schools. The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments do not
contain a virus, worm, trojan, and/or malicious code when sent. This
message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission.
By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts
full responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses
and other defects. If you received this email in error, please immediately
notify the Technology Department, Pike County Schools, 7454 US Hwy 19
South, Zebulon, GA 30295. E-mail: techsupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   ­­

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image