[gsis_admins] Re: Fwd: Superintendent Woods Releases Statement on Age of Eligibility Legislation

  • From: Carolyn Oliver <COliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gsis_admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gsis_admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:30:09 +0000

t-shirts – maroon with silver imprint  - wear on Wednesday
button up – clover green with Las Vega gold and white embroidery – wear on
Thursday
polo – charcoal with white embroidery – wear on Friday

Carolyn

From: Matt Cardoza <MCardoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:MCardoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Subject: Superintendent Woods Releases Statement on Age of Eligibility
Legislation
To: denise.epperson@xxxxxxxx<mailto:denise.epperson@xxxxxxxx>
If you have trouble viewing this press release, please click on the following
link:
http://www.gadoe.org/External-Affairs-and-Policy/communications/Pages/PressReleaseDetails.aspx?PressView=default&pid=274

[cid:image001.png@01D03BA6.2C598AA0]

Superintendent Woods Releases Statement on Age of Eligibility Legislation

MEDIA CONTACT: Matt Cardoza, GaDOE Communications Office, (404)
651-7358<tel:%28404%29%20651-7358>,
mcardoza@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mcardoza@xxxxxxxxx> or Meghan Frick, GaDOE
Communications Office, (404) 656-5594<tel:%28404%29%20656-5594>,
mfrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mfrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-Follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/gadoenews/> and
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/GaDOE>

January 28, 2015 – State School Superintendent Richard Woods’ statement
regarding House Bill
100<http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/145919.pdf>:

“I wholeheartedly support House Bill 100,” said Superintendent Woods. “Since
most schools now start before September 1, we have many students starting
kindergarten far too young. Some younger students, especially four-year-olds,
are not developmentally ready for kindergarten. Oftentimes their presence in a
classroom requires teachers to provide pre-kindergarten services to the
disadvantage of the older students who are ready to learn at the kindergarten
level and achieve the high academic standards we have in Georgia.”

State Board of Education Chair Helen Rice added, “I believe moving the age of
eligibility for kindergarten back will have a positive impact on student
achievement. The lack of kindergarten readiness of late four-year-olds and
early five-year-olds is exacerbated by the fact that many of these children
have had no prior school experience. The more time they have to mature before
starting kindergarten the better.”

Superintendent Woods first proposed this issue during his campaign. He
reiterated his commitment to the idea of advancing the cutoff date for
kindergarten registration when he spoke to the Georgia School Boards
Association in early December.

Matt Cardoza
Director of Communications
Georgia Department of Education
2062 Twin Towers East
205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE
Atlanta, GA  30334
(404) 651-7358<tel:%28404%29%20651-7358>
mcardoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mcardoza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.gadoe.org<http://www.gadoe.org/>

“Educating Georgia’s Future”

cid:image002.png@01CEB48B.6C836F90]<http://www.facebook.com/gadoe>
<http://twitter.com/gadoenews>   [Description: Description: Description:
cid:image008.png@01CE1B23.9A2F75D0] <http://www.youtube.com/gadoemedia>
<http://instagram.com/gadeptofed>   [Description: Description: Description:
cid:image004.png@01CE1B23.9A2F75D0] <http://pinterest.com/georgiadoe>

This message is intended only for the specified recipients. If you are not the
intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing, or
taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited. This communication represents the originator's personal views,
which may not reflect those of Pike County Schools. The sender believes that
this E-Mail and any attachments do not contain a virus, worm, trojan, and/or
malicious code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been
infected during transmission. By reading the message and opening any
attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective
and remedial action about viruses and other defects. If you received this email
in error, please immediately notify the Technology Department, Pike County
Schools, 7454 US Hwy 19 South, Zebulon, GA 30295. E-mail:
techsupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:techsupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   ­­

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image