[greenbuild] this is a safe e-mail--clarification about virus alert

  • From: Molly Brewton <mb105@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mb105@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:27:39 -0400

Dear All,

Some people have misunderstood my previous virus alert and the caution
about opening mail from me.  They have taken my warning as if I was saying
that any mail that I knowingly send might be used by the virus to "hitch a
ride" into another person's computer.  I know of no such transmission
risk.  What I actually meant is that the virus might, unbeknownst to me,
send out its own e-mail.  The known pattern is for such e-mails to arrive
with a random subject line, no body text, and an attachment such as
"readme.exe" plus an .html file, however, of course caution would be
advised for any suspicious-looking e-mail.

Actually, so far only Microsoft Outlook has been exploited in that way, so
infection from me would be unlikely anyway (I have Eudora), but I thought
it best to be extra-cautious and warn you.

Also, someone else has given a warning about another virus.  I've pasted it
below.  And I just learned that someone almost got infected from visiting a
site on Internet Explorer which apparently had a file with the virus, so
good to be cautious about that.  Sorry for any cross-postings.

Molly

DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL THAT SAYS EITHER

"A Virtual Card for You"

OR

"An Internet Flower For You"

I am told (via sources in NY) that these two emails contain attachments
that, if launched, will destroy sector zero of your hard drive, and
therefore the drive itself.

I'm not 100% sure this is good information but it pays to be vigilant.

-Marc

Molly