[greenbuild] VIRUS ALERT

  • From: Molly Brewton <mb105@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:58:53 -0400

Dear  All,

Just want to alert you that there's a new virus (called W32 Nimda.A@xxxxxx)
making its way around.  My computer's caught it.  Apparently, it enters
through e-mail, web servers, and file shares.  It appears to especially
target Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Internet Explorer or web servers for
infection and, among other things it does, infects FTP scripts (i.e how
files are transfered from one computer to another over the internet).

If you get any e-mail from me, you might want to be very careful about
opening or previewing it, even if you don't open the attachment, unless you
know it is legit.  I should probably be okay within a day or two, however.

I've attached a web address for more info.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/topics/Nimda.asp

Norton Anti-virus Live Update has the definition and will catch it and
quarantine it if it infects your system.  I believe this is also available
at above webpage.  A free download of NAV is available for Cornell
employees at  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/software/downloads/antivirus/.   I
do live update every morning and before I leave at night, set Norton to
automatically scan all my local drives every night and have it set to do
realtime protection.  As over-cautious as that might sound, I've become
more and more convinced it's the way to go.

Good luck and good health!
Molly