[greenbuild] factoring in codes and loans

  • From: Molly Brewton <mb105@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NaturalBuilding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:23:16 -0400

Dear folks,

Does anyone know what the new building codes will/won't allow as far as
natural alternatives?  Also, same question in terms of whether it's OK
right away or only allowed with a lengthy variance process.

Also, my finances and (lack of) skills won't allow me to avoid a
construction loan, and I am leaning that, since the banks want to be sure
they could sell a building if a borrower defaulted, loans require
"conventional" and "marketable" materials.  Has anyone been through this,
and/or do you know which natural building alternatives fall within these
guidelines?

On another note, for anyone who's building or buying a house for the first
time in NYS, I suggest checking to see if you're eligible for SONYMA
("sunnymay") loans.  They come at a much lower % and have other benfits.
http://www.nyhomes.org/sony/sonyma.html

Thanks,
Molly