[greenbuild] Re: Net metering

  • From: Stephen Paisley <Stephen.Paisley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:02:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Jacobson [mailto:jay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 10:27 AM
To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [greenbuild] Net metering

Hi;
        I'm interested in installing solar panels on my house and do
net-metering
so I had NYSEG send me a copy of the agreement and requirements.  I gather
that NYSEG is protecting itself and the utility system against any problems
and making the homeowner fully responsible.  What I'm trying to understand
is the initial and ongoing costs of this installation.  Can anyone help me
with this?  Do you know of people who already are doing net-metering that I
could contact to find out their experience?  And what's this business about
choosing a single meter or two meters?  What are the advantages and
disadvantages of each?
        Thanks to those who responded with information about green buildings
in NYC.
Jay

        The net metering guy at the Public Service Commission may be of some
help to you on this; he is (patrick_maher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).  I recently
attended a talk he gave on the subject, and my understanding is that while
utilities are required by law to offer NM, NYSEG has up until now been very
uncooperative, though some people at the talk seemed to think that the
situation would improve by this summer. Patrick Maher encouraged anyone who
runs up against utility resistance to contact the PSC and complain.
        Re 1-meter vs. 2-meter, the impression I got was that 1-meter was
normal for residential PV.  The advantage of 2-meter is that it would give
you more of a leg to stand on in the case of a meter dispute between you and
the utility.
        Also--you can get a 25% NYS tax credit for PV (tax form IT-255), and
NYSERDA will take 4.5% off of your interest rate if you borrow to install PV
or energy-saving measures (www.nyserda.org).