[greenbuild] Intro: Shannon Mackey

  • From: "Shannon Mackey" <coalesce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GREENBUILD" <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 22:11:53 EDT

I've lived in the Ithaca area with my wife for 2 years.  We've been
fixing a house near Jacksonville, but really have our sights set on
building an earth-sheltered masonry home; stone/timber from the site,
passive solar heating, masonry heater, solar hot water, photovoltaic
electric (and maybe wind/micro-hydro, as the site presents itself),
rainwater catchment, composting toilets, greenhouse/gardens,-- ya know,
your usual list of sustainable stuff.

Renewable energy systems are my area of expertise, having designed/
installed photovoltaic and micro-hydro systems as a business for people
in the past.  I currently do energy load analysis and site energy
resource consultation for people.  Basically, I study your power usage
and recommend the most effective ways to improve efficiency, and study
your site to determine amount of power that may be gained through
photovoltaics/wind/water.  I use a Solar Pathfinder tool to determine
the optimum site and maximum percentage of solar energy that can be
gathered. Based on this information, if you wish, I can generate some
ballpark cost figures for various systems to cover likely scenarios at
your site.  I do not currently sell equipment, but have experience with
many of the renewable energy equipment brands and companies, and
several years of living with photovoltaic power systems.  For this
service, I trade Ithaca Hours or straight time of your suitable
expertise or service.

I look forward to working with all of you as we build our sustainable
lives together.

Thanks

Shannon Mackey