[greenbuild] Infill materials for odd spaces where straw won't work

  • From: Joe Nolan <jnolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Strawbale List" <strawbale@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:54:39 -0400

Our architect is reluctant to allow any stuffed straw due to fire
resistance concerns (the building inspector specifically asked how we would
ensure a "machine-equivalent compaction rate").

So, I'm trying to come up with some alternate materials for those odd
spaces where modified bales won't work well. The walls are stick framed,
and we'd prefer infill materials with firmness for structural reasons.

Following are some first thoughts. Any experience with these? I still need
to research the properties/costs/availability of these. Any info appreciated.

1) Sheep's wool, treated with boric acid powder (smaller spaces)
2) Homasote board
3) Corkboard
4) Strawboard (core of Agriboard without OSB)
5) Blown cellulose behind plastered mesh

Thanks!

-
Joe Nolan
Ithaca, NY