[greenbuild] House needed for energy retrofit study

  • From: "Jon Harrod" <insul8er@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <SustainableIthaca@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:50:24 -0400

Performance Systems Contracting is collaborating with the National
Association of Home Builders Research Center (NAHBRC) and the Partnership
for Advancing Technology in Housing (PATH) on a study looking at options for
retrofitting our country's existing housing stock to achieve large
reductions in energy use. The idea is to identify several test houses
(including one in the Ithaca area) and outfit them with a variety of
equipment to monitor heating, hot water, lighting and appliance energy use.

Baseline "as-is" data will be collected throughout the winter. The house
will then be modified with both conventional energy upgrades (insulation,
air sealing, heating equipment, etc.) and lesser known PATH-identified
innovative technologies (tankless water heater, solar electric, high
efficiency appliances, modulating gas furnace) as are determined to be
cost-effective. Finally, "after" data will be collected to determine the
effectiveness of the energy upgrades.

The ideal house would meet the following criteria:

--Single family house
--Built between 1950's-70's
--Older appliances
--Older heating system
--An owner that is willing to consider using some innovative technologies

The costs of the conventional upgrades will be borne by the homeowner. To
assist with the costs, the NAHBRC will work with suppliers for possible
discount or donation of products or services and at a minimum pick up the
difference in cost between a standard replacement cost and higher cost of
some innovative technologies. Performance Systems will provide a detailed
energy audit and consultation as well as arranging access to low-interest
Energy Star financing.  It's a great opportunity to get some free
cutting-edge technical support and contribute to research that will help to
promote energy efficiency around our country.

If your house meets the criteria above and you are interested in
participating, please email or call me (607-327-1647) to talk.

Jon Harrod, General Manager
Performance Systems Contracting