[gptalk] Re: WMI Filters

  • From: Frank <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:45:42 -0400

You want to prevent installation of Office 2007 onto workstations that have
Office 2003 installed already?

My understanding of WMI filters (as applied to a GPO) is that if the query
returns anything, then (you've got a "true" and) the condition is met, which
makes it tricky to negate something like the presence of a product, as
opposed to something simple like "has more than 512mb of RAM".  --If I'm
wrong, please, pretty please shed some light here!!!  (I beg of you!)

Another thing you could do is use/create an MST onto 2007 that adds an
Install Condition making sure there's no other Office version installed
before proceeding.  Otherwise perhaps basing your query around the Office
2003 Product code might help.

f.