[gptalk] Can't block command.com?

  • From: "James F. Prudente" <JPrudente@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:51:51 -0500

Hi All,

Command.com is blocked via "Don't run specified Windows applications," and sure
enough that works properly if a user tries to run the file directly. However,
if they put command.com in a batch file, and then run that batch file, they can
get to a command prompt. "Prevent access to the command prompt" is enabled, and
as best I can tell, I've got things locked down as far as possible. Is there
something I'm missing? There are a lot of sites out that that seem to indicate
it's not possible to block this. Seems odd though.

Thanks,
James

James F. Prudente
Network & Systems Coordinator