[gptalk] Re: Can't block command.com?

  • From: Omar Droubi <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:58:50 -0800

Don't forget- command.com and cmd.exe are completely different executables so
you need to catch them both if you specify the names and maybe the block the
command prompt is only catching one?

Also-if you use software restriction policy hash rules (which can work very
well) you will need to add in each version of the file. For example: cmd.exe
from XP SP2 is different than cmd.exe from Vista or server 2003/2008-so get one
copy of each file when you are defining the executables- its quite easy.

Locking down apps is always tough- are you doing it for stability or security?

Omar Droubi
omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
650-726-0300