[gptalk] Re: ADMX confusion...

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:54:16 +1000

Hi Jason,

I preface my remarks with the fact that I have done little testing of this,
but my understanding is as follows:-

*         On a Vista Client, the Add/Remove Templates works exactly as it
used to. That is it copies an ADM template into the group policy that you
are editing. That copy then remains with that policy. As such, it will not
see or copy ADMX files since they are not valid ADM files.

*         ADMX files are a totally different format. Renaming it to an ADM
file will definitely make it unreadable

*         If a non vista client opens a policy it will have no knowledge of
the ADMX files, therefore it cannot copy the ADMX files from the ADMX store
to the ADM store in the policy

Note: Since the non-vista client cannot see the ADMX files, it cannot
display any of the Administrative Template policy settings set via ADMX
templates, unless of course there is also an ADM file present that can
interpret it.

I must admit I am not really sold on the ADMX file concept. They are harder
to edit, they are visible in all Policies (which can be annoying) and can be
difficult to manage when you enhance them. For instance if you have a policy
setting that sets 3 values, then want to change it in a new policy to set 4
values, both the old and the new policy see the template that sets 4 values.
The two advantages of ADMX files are that they save space (you don't have a
copy per Policy) and they support multiple languages (which is normally not
important for most sites). One thing which would make a BIG difference would
be if Microsoft allowed you to Hide certain ADMX files in each policy. This
would allow each policy to have a different set if required. And while it
complaining mood, it would also be a real bonus if by default it did not
"Only show policy settings that can be fully managed". i.e the default
should be to show all policies.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir