[gptalk] ADMX confusion...

  • From: "Jason B. Halladay" <jason@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:55:33 -0600

As I've posted recently, I'm doing some research/testing with the Vista central store.... In my testing I've come up with a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer...

Without the central store created, I opened the GPOE on a Vista client and tried to use the Add/Remove Templates... to add a custom ADMX template (converted an older ADM to ADMX using the FullArmor ADMX migrator) but while browsing for the ADMX file, it does not show up in the browse window. The window will only show Policy Templates files but I expected the Vista GPOE to see .admx as a valid policy template file. If I rename my admx file to an adm, it shows up but errors when I try to open it. I must be missing something....

I'm not convinced the central store will be a big benefit initially here because we have upwards of 100 OU administrators creating and editing GPOs from many different clients. If I understand it correctly if someone with an XP client so much as opens a GPO for editing that was originally created on a Vista client (that had used the central store) the ADMs from that XP client will be copied to sysvol. Do I understand that right? I realize that's an administrative "issue" on our part--just want to make sure my thinking is correct.