[gps-talkusers] speaking of the audio tutorial

  • From: "Vicky Collins" <v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:36:52 -0500

It's not a big deal of course, but I kind of miss having the audio tutorial
of the vehicle route in the 4. series of the Sendero GPS for the BrailleNote
family.  For, more often than not these days when I get into a cab, the
driver wants me to tell them how to get to the place, even places right
downtown that one would tend to think with which they would already be
familiar.

Now, and this does suit my purposes quite well, but I primarily use the GPS
for going to and from work on the bus, and for knowing where I am when
walking around my neighborhood.  And, I occasionally use it to give family
and friends info about trying to find places around where I live, although
they then like to figure out their own routes once they have the general
info about getting to the place.  But, some of the city bus drivers don't
call out the stops, and I have a much more relaxing ride to and from work
when I don't have to worry if I'm going to miss my stop.  True, I could
probably just ask them to call the stops, as they usually do indeed call
mine and
are quite friendly about it, but I'm just as happy knowing where I am for
myself.  And, should a driver inadvertently let me off at the wrong stop as
one did the other day, for some reason two stops ahead of time, I don't take
time to discuss but just have my GPS and happily go ahead and walk home
knowing where I am all along.

I've taken to having my GPS turned on right when I get in a cab these days,
so I can be prepared to try and help the cab driver when it is needed.  And,
although it isn't quite the same, I did go back to the 3.5 downloads and get
the vehicle audio tutorial from there to help give me ideas on directing
folks, as that is something I really don't do very well, although the
default route following to turns only certainly helps.

Finally, while I'm writing, although we have now been given the info to
download maps for the Sense NAV, I was sure glad to already have the access
to the maps from the Sendero BN GPS side of things.  For, right before I
went home for Christmas and when I first tried to use the Sense NAV, guess I
somehow got in a hurry and did something incorrectly and erased all the info
on the 8 GB card I was provided.  But, thanks to my account with Sendero, I
was able to go ahead and reconstruct that CF card, even if it did take some
time to accomplish.  And, oh, yes, I am quite pleased to be able to have the
maps I need on the one CF card, and then just put that CF card in which ever
note taker I happen to be using at the time, instead of having to carry a
separate card for the BNPK and VS.

Vicky Collins
v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx