[gps-talkusers] Re: just wondering!

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:41:26 +0900

It seems like every time an update comes along, there are multiple problems that should have been caught before the upgrades were offered for lots of money. One problem is the permanence of the upgrade. If you don't like it, you cannot revert back to the older version. Some systems work just fine after the upgrade, some don't. That points to motherboard problems to my uneducated opinion. Then, of course, there is the compatibility problem. The new software will not run with the old software, and even the old "POI" lists will not download properly.

I really do not think that the merger had or will have anything to do with those problems. If you really want the system, go ahead and invest a fortune in it. You might get lucky, as Dirty Harry used to say.

I have the Earthmate GPS receiver, its software, HAL, JAWS 4.02, and an old IBM laptop. Total cost is well under $1000. I can't say it is working yet, but I am almost there. If it works, one way of looking at it is that even though it is not as fast or portable, it did not bust the state budget.

Dick Myers

From: "donald" <donald.goosens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] just wondering!
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:58:13 -0500

I'm just wondering since there is this big merger with PulseData and visualAid if now is really the right time to buy in to the whole GPS thing? Maybe they are working on something big and it will come out in a few months. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Donald

(8):[(8)