[gps-talkusers] enabling WAAS

  • From: Michael May <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:54:41 -0700

David,

The Sendero GPS says WAAS or Very Good  when you press the G key to get GPS
status.

WAAS being five times as accurate is not my experience. The average GPS
accuracy is 30 feet and with WAAS it can be 10 feet. WAAS isn't always
available and it isn't always 10 feet.  Our new 3.5 announces approximate
accuracy in feet so you have a relative idea of how much WAAS helps.

As far as bogging down the receiver, I have never seen this. The Holux receiver
with WAAS enabled has no lack of responsiveness. I assume that WAAS takes a bit
more battery power but I have no proof of that either. You get about 10 hours
with the Holux and they say you can get up to 10 hours in power saving mode.
This mode isn't something you can enable on the BrailleNote and I don't know if
it would stay enabled even if you did it on the PC.