[gps-talkusers] Re: discrepancy in POI locations

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:42:53 -0800

Hi Jim,

Just one of those miss-positioned POIs it seems. Some database had some number transcribed incorrectly and taken as the master location and presto all future versions of this database has this incorrect position. It is our hope that we will be able in future versions to improve the POI's location and allow users to update this information and eventually we can give this information back to the data-source provider so that future updates will have the correct information. We have put in the foundation to make this happen with version 5.0 but our current version doesn't offer this ability yet.

Thanks
Charles.

At 10:32 AM 12/28/2008, you wrote:
Hi Charles, we were looking for a place to stay the night yesterday near Delano on i 99 in Southern Cal. I found a Best Western but it became evident when we got near the supposed location that there was nothing there. My wife had seen one about a mile back so we turned around and found the Liberty In, formerly Best Western. The Liberty In didn't even appear in the database and was over a mile from the Best Western site we had been looking for. I marked the real site if you want me to send you the Lat Lon, but that's probably not necessary. That tended to make me a little wary about the database. I realize that some commercial POI's can be off base but by over a mile? I asked the clerk about it and she said that her own GPS and other customers had the same issue. Something about this location or something, so it's not just Sendero's issue. I'm just curious about this situation. This is more of a curiosity than a complaint. Thanks for all you do. You guys really do a fabulous job and I realize it's impossible to know about all the bugs in the database.
Best regards, Jim

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3719 (20081227) __________

http://www.eset.com

Charles M. La Pierre
CTO Sendero Group
"The GPS company:" Featuring Sendero GPS on the BrailleNote as well as Sense Nav and the new Mobile Geo for Windows Mobile devices. Also distributing Trekker, Victor Stream, KNFB Mobile Reader, Talks, Mobile Speak, Tiger embossers, Miniguide and ID Mate
1-888-757-6810

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W