[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS for blind people

  • From: "Stanislaw Ambroszkiewicz" <sambrosz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:22:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

There are also some academic projects on this subject,
for example:

Wayfinding Group, http://www.senderogroup.com/wayfinding

NOPPA, http://www.vtt.fi/tuo/53/projektit/noppa/noppaeng.htm

and the ongoing project at the University of Podlasie in Poland,
called Blind-enT, http://ii4.ap.siedlce.pl

Short overview of the Blind-enT:
The claim is that blind persons can perceive objects
like door, pillar, ditch, elevator, passage, room, hall,
building, street, etc., having only mobile cellular phones.

The primary goal of all positioning systems is to determine
the user's position as precisely as possible, whereas
the main purpose of the project is to provide a blind person
with the ability to locate an object and then to perceive
it by getting to know its attributes. This permits area
familiarization and route planning. Object position may be
one of the attributes.  Once a blind person identifies an
object (by being close to it), she/he can get to know
her/his position from the object attributes.
It is interesting that the position is not so important
also for sighted persons; the position is usually relative
and can be derived from perceiving orientation points
(e.g., interesting objects) that have already been
remembered.

The crucial assumption of our project is that objects
can be located (identified) using IrDA connectivity.
This means that in order to be located an object must
have an infrared transceiver (a standard IrDA controller)
that transmits data (to a mobile) containing the object's
identifier and the azimuth of the infrared message beam
and, if it is necessary the current values of some of
its attributes. Given the object's identifier, the complete
object description can be downloaded from a local or
global repository via Bluetooth, or/and GPRS connectivity
of a mobile. It is important to note that, unlike
Talking Signs, the description is not in a voice format.
It is expressed in terms of generic attributes and
types so that it can be processed automatically.
Only the result of such processing is delivered to a
blind user as voice.

The most important point of the project is generic
object representation (that gives rise to develop object
oriented approach for representing geospatial data),
and routing algorithms for determining
safe and short paths between objects.

Best regards,
Stanislaw