[gps-talkusers] Re: Consumer Electronics Show

  • From: Vinny <vinnroc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 07:00:38 -0500

My favorite time of year!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael May" <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 6:21 AM
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Consumer Electronics Show

It would appear that attendance is very strong at CES 2011.

My favorite aspect of this huge convention is to find interesting gadgets
which I had no idea about. I also have certain product areas or specific
companies I also check out.

There are two companies with iPhone apps that had no idea that their product
was accessible. I simply showed them how to turn on VoiceOver and was able
to get an accessible demo right at their booths.

One was the Viper Smart start app. This enables you to remotely start your
car, open the trunk and a few other things like that. They also have a
number of other automotive information things they are developing.

More interesting was the Concept 2 rowing machine and Nordic skiing machine.
Concept has had a USB interface for a while so you could get some
information from your connected laptop. Now, you can get lots of information
about your rowing from the iPhone or iPod app. It all seemed to work quite
well.

The product is still in Beta and I got them to agree to let a blind rower be
on the beta team. You can bet I will be purchasing one of their rowing
machines in a few months.

I will of course be looking at GPS products over the next 3 days as well.

Mike

Michael May, CEO Sendero Group
Developers of accessible GPS and distributors of technology for the blind

Voice, 530-757-6800
MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.senderogroup.com
http://www.AccessibleGPS.com