[gps-talkusers] Re: Considerations for new GPS purchase

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:25:08 -0800

The decision about the conventional cane versus the Ultra cane is separate
from the decision about GPS. The former is for mobility and the latter is
for orientation.

For those who don't know, the Ultra cane formerly called the BatCane has
two ultra sonic sensors in the handle, one points upward and the other
straight ahead. Corresponding vibration points are under your fingers as
you hold the cane. Obstacles picked up by the sensors can be felt as
vibrations in the handle. This gives you ability to detect overhangs and
extends your awareness beyond the end of the cane. The down side is the
cost (about 800), weight and perhaps durability of the device. For more
information, go to
http://www.SoundForeSight.co.uk