[gpodder-devel] Video Features

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:05:45 +0100

Hello, Marc!

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:54:56AM -0500, Marc Telesha wrote:
> 1. I would like the ability to select which feeds automatically download
> when new feeds are available. Would save me the trouble of updating the
> feeds and clicking dozens of feeds. Certain shows I want to listen maybe
> once a month though they are daily podcast i.e. Buzz Out Loud.

There is a bug for this somewhere in Bugzilla, I think.

> 2. Decided which feeds are automatically deleted and which feeds I keep the
> feeds. Fro example I like to keep This American Life and Radio Lab podcast
> so I can share certain ones with friends and co-workers. Podcast like news
> shows I want deleted the second they are transfered to my device.

There will be some more intelligent deleting (most likely based on the
podcast type) in the future. For now, you can use Ctrl+K.

> 3. I would like the option for certain feeds to not be transfered to device.

The "Edit Podcast" dialog has a "Skip this podcast when syncing to my
device" checkbox that does exactly that.

> 1. The option of downloading Videos to a separate directory.

Probably won't be in upstream. It should be easy for you to change that
in the code. See the "gpodder.model" module and the "gpodder.download"
module for ways to insert that.

You could also symlink or hardlink all video files to a separate
directory. You can do these things via a custom script, no need to put
that code into gPodder. Most podcasts are video-only or audio-only,
anyway, and every podcast is put into its own directory, anyway.

> 2. The option to not transfer any videos to device.

Please open a feature reuqest for this on http://bugs.gpodder.org/. This
sounds like a good idea, and will probably result in a "My device
supports playing back viddeos" checkbox in the preferences dialog.

> 3. Would be neat to have a conversion tool for videos for device (BUT I know
> that is a ton of work).

Yes, that's out-of-scope for gPodder. However, you can write your own
post-download hook script that can convert videos. Please have a look
at the user manual ("Time stretching" in the advanced topics):

http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/User_Manual

Also have a look at src/gpodder/libconverter.py

> P.S. KPodder would be cool also with some QT love :)

If you want, you can write your Qt GUI using PyQT or PySide for gPodder.

The backend code is independent of GTK+, you just have to implement some
model classes (see the "gpodder.gtkui" package for all GTK+-specific
code) and write a replacement "main" GUI class (in gui.py). Oh yeah -
you probably have to split some program logic from gui.py in a
UI-independent class; have not gotten around to do this (yet).

HTH.