[gpodder-devel] Tagging

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:29:51 +0100

Hello!

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:20:37PM +0200, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> ma, 2009-11-23 kello 16:56 +0000, Hilton Shumway kirjoitti:
> > Using the download hook, as suggested in the bug report, would I
> > believe get around the GPL's linking requirements, as they would be
> > connected using bash.
>
> Probably, but I think that's just ugly. The previous tagging code called
> some tagger binaries like that, so we'd basically be rewriting code
> which Thomas once removed. The suggestion to use the post-download hook
> was probably meant for end users. In my opinion, if we are to implement
> any tagging features, they should use a tagging library directly.

I guess it depends on the features of the tagging libraries. AFAIK
mutagen is quite good at handling lots of different file types. We could
add an additional command line utility ("gpodder-update-tags"?) that is
licensed under the GPLv2 and uses mutagen. gPodder can then check at
runtime if this utility is available and call it (again, passing the
values via environment variables or some other means).

I think this modular approach has its advantages, as we don't have to
ship (and load!) every extension by default, but only use what we need.

Or you could even write a D-Bus service that can update tags, and let
gPodder utilize that :) Be aware this would lock out Windows users, as
D-Bus is not supported in gPodder for Windows.

(Or we wait until Tracker's writeback[1] support gets into distros, and
just use that ;)

HTH.

Thomas

[1]