[gpodder-devel] Invalid feed: can gPodder handle it?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:12:44 +0100

Hello, ?J?r?me!

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 22:17 +0100, J?r?me Chabod wrote:
> This feed
> http://www.rss-one.com/rss-3950-Canal-Plus---Le-Zapping stores
> its episodes url in <url> tag instead of <enclosure url> and thus
> can't be handled by gPodder.
> I imagine this is invalid, but is there a way to read it in gpodder?

I think you would have to mess with feedparser. In short: It's not a
valid feed. Possible solutions:

a) Write to them they should fix their INVALID, BUGGY RSS feed

b) Write an XSLT transformation (or a Python script that modifies the
   XML document using DOM or something) that you put on your server that
   corrects the buggy RSS feed and outputs a valid podcast RSS feed,
   and subscribe to that URL

For "b)", it would be nice if you could send in the resulting script or
xslt file, because I think many people could profit from such a script
that they can customize on their server and make buggy feeds working.
That said, podcast authors should really fix their RSS feeds. After all,
that's why we have standards (and why it's so easy for gPodder to
subscribe to feeds from so many different sites and authors).