[gpodder-devel] Do we need a podcast directory?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:42:29 +0100

Hello!

I'm thinking about adding some kind of "directory" or "channel search"
functionality to gPodder. The current support ("Import from Web") with
the list at http://gpodder.org/directory.opml is a bit limited, so I'm
thinking about what is the best way to get a list of interesting
channels and present them in an useful way.

Possible solutions:

 * Aggregate data from podcast directories (have to ask, etc..)
 * Add a "submit" functionality to gPodder

The "submit" functionality would enable gPodder users to select some (or
all) of their subscribed channels, add a note or some other details to
the channel info and send it to the gPodder website where it could be
added to the podcast directory. This directory could then be searched
and displayed from within gPodder in a similiar way that the OPML
importer currently does.

Of course, the "submit" function is totally optional, i.e. you have to
select it from the menu, then select your channels, add some info and
then send it to the gPodder website.

 * Do we need such a function?
 * How do you discover new channels?
 * Would you be willing to contribute to the directory?
 * What would you like to see in terms of discovering channels?
? * What do you think of the idea?