[gpodder] Re: Cleaning up duplicates

  • From: Filip Kłębczyk <fklebczyk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 14:03:36 +0200

Hi Jakob,

W dniu 04.05.2013 13:53, Jakob Gruber pisze:
I'm not a part of the gPodder team, but I'd like to comment on your
complaint:

If you contribute to a project which is using git, I don't see how it's
unreasonable to expect you to research and learn basic features such as
rebasing. Since you're familiar with similar systems such as Mercurial,
this shouldn't take more than one or two hours of reading and experimenting.

Rebasing is essential for any clean commit history, especially if you
don't expect the project maintainers to spend hours editing unfamiliar
code just to be able to apply it to the current repo state.

I don't know the details, but you can ask that student what was the problem. I think that with a little bit of goodwill and help he could have made rebasing properly. He really wanted to do that, but was ignored for a long time from what I've know.

Having the code is nice, but it needs to be in some usable form to merge
it upstream.

I agree, but people sometime require some help (it does not mean doing everything for them).

Again, I don't know the details of this situation, so I apologize if
this is off-topic.

No problem, any opinions are interesting.

Best regards,
Filip