[gpodder] Re: Cleaning up duplicates

  • From: Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 13:53:25 +0200

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Filip Kłębczyk <fklebczyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The job was done, but code wasn't (and probably won't be) merged with the
> project. Why? Official explanation is that this student doesn't know how to
> use 'git rebase' (if someone is using Mercurial and doesn't have much
> contact with git is hard to demand to know every part of git very well).
> Shouldn't former mentor help with that? Is that an enough reason to drop
> someone's hard work? I personally think it is not and that won't encourage
> any person to get involved more in open source projects.

I'm not a part of the gPodder team, but I'd like to comment on your
complaint:

If you contribute to a project which is using git, I don't see how it's
unreasonable to expect you to research and learn basic features such as
rebasing. Since you're familiar with similar systems such as Mercurial,
this shouldn't take more than one or two hours of reading and experimenting.

Rebasing is essential for any clean commit history, especially if you don't
expect the project maintainers to spend hours editing unfamiliar code just
to be able to apply it to the current repo state.

Having the code is nice, but it needs to be in some usable form to merge it
upstream.

Again, I don't know the details of this situation, so I apologize if this
is off-topic.

Jakob