[gpodder] Re: Clarifying the idea: Native Android port of gPodder

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:47:20 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:07:05PM +0530, Isuru Samarasinghe wrote:
> I'm interested in working with the idea "Native Android port of gPodder".
> I want to clarify the idea because I didn't get the meaning of "Native".
>
> Is this about a specific application for Android OS?

Yes, this is about writing an Android application using the standard
Android tools. We called it "native" in the proposal in contrast to
applications that use Python and/or HTML/WebKit for the UI.

A "native Android port of gPodder" in this case is a Java Android
application using the native Android look'n'feel, following the
Android Design guidelines:

    http://developer.android.com/design/index.html

The application should support Android >= 4.0, and I wouldn't care about
anything older than that for now - at the time the application is
finished and tested, most users will either have upgraded to Android 4
already or will upgrade to it in a year from then or so. The small
percentage of users that will be on Android 2.x is probably not worth
the extra effort, and the Android 4 UX is much more consistent and clean
in my opinion, so that's the target that I'd propose.

Of course, we're open for discussing this if you have better ideas
regarding how to go about this task :)