[goodfeel] "rest not visible"

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:43:36 -0500

Hi,

Q.  When using the Lime Aloud access method to scroll through a Lime score,
what does it mean when JAWS announces "rest not visible"?

It usually means that you are focused on the second or more measure in a
group rest or gathered rest.  For instance, in the print score, a gathered
rest of 4 bars rest is written as a whole rest with a 4 above it, I believe.
If you move to the second measure of that gathered rest, Lime Aloud will
tell you that you are focused on a measure rest but, in fact, that measure
rest is literally not visible in the print score at that location.  Same
actually is true of the braille score since a 4 measure rest is written as
3-4-5-6, 1-4-5, 1-3-4 or number sign, 4, m.

As you may know, when one scrolls through a piece using Lime with Lime
Aloud, the braille music and the print music scroll in sync.  It can be very
useful for a braille music reader to ask a sighted helper what a particular
symbol means knowing that the braille highlight and the print highlight
indicate the same score position.  Of course, it can be equally helpful to a
blind teacher helping a sighted student.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com