[goodfeel] Re: Swing Eighth Notes

  • From: Bill McCann <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 13:46:05 +0000

Hi, Alex,

We need to add this information to our GOODFEEL FAQ as this question comes up
from time to time.

Q.  How can I swing eighth-notes in Lime's Playback Function (CONTROL+H for
Hear)

A.  You must select the series of eighth-notes you want to swing during
playback and apply Lime's swing beaming to them.

* Move to first note in passage.

* Hold down the SHIFT key while you press right arrow to select the notes you
want to change.

*   Press ALT+S, W to choose the "Swing Eighth Beam" for the selected notes

* Press ESCAPE

* Move to the first note in the passage and press CONTROL+H or CONTROL+Numpad 2
to listen to the passage.

Lime now sort of swings the phrases. As an old saying goes: Lime swings like a
rusty gate.  For those of you who are not sure, when someone makes that comment
about a jazz player, it is not a compliment.  Remember that the main use of
Lime is to notate music.  It is then up to the performer to interpret the
music.  Generally, Lime does not attempt to realize ornaments such as turns,
trills, and mordents.  An indication of "Swing" at the start of your piece is
enough to alert the player to what you want.

Follow link below to read my comments describing the excellent swing options in
SONAR with CakeTalking.  Unlike Lime, SONAR is a program primarily concerned
with the sound of a performance and not the notation of a piece.

You can go to

www.freelists.org/archive/goodfeel/<//www.freelists.org/archive/goodfeel/>
where you can search through years of archived posts to this list and I
searched for the word "Swing".  Here is the link I find when I search on
"Swing":
www.freelists.org/post/goodfeel/Swing<//www.freelists.org/post/goodfeel/Swing>

Bill