[goodfeel] Re: Researching what other blind people do withtheir musical talent and would like to get to know those of you whoare interested in sharing more about yourselves

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:44:53 -0400

One more thing... Don't get Sonar and CakeTalking a week before the course starts. Trying to get the course work done while learning all the new software and concepts would be extremely stressful. You would want to give yourself time to work through some of the CakeTalking tutorial and get familiar with Sonar with some time to spare, before diving into the course work.

I didn't make that mistake, but I made a similar one. When I was in college, I tried to get familiar with Sibelius and Sibelius Speaking, in the middle of a counterpoint course. Whoops! Lesson learned, after some late nights. :)

At 04:39 PM 7/24/2013, you wrote:
Hi Lindsey. Is that University of Alberta?

I took my classes online through Berkleemusic Online. They're not cheap, but well worth it if you are seriously interested in mixing or mastering. For example, the main part of the mixing course involved mixing a song a week, plus critiquing mixes from our classmates on a message board. So not only do you get feedback and a grade from your professor about each mix, you also get feedback from classmates, as well as being able to check out their attempts as well.

If you are highly motivated you might not need to take a course, but for me, a course gave me structure, deadlines, and constant feedback from others, all of which kept me going. There's nothing stopping you from acquiring the necessary software and a few books on mixing though, if you don't need the structure of a course.

I would recommend learning how to mix before worrying about mastering.
You'll need a PC equipped with software such as Sonar or Reaper, and a pair of studio monitor speakers. A control surface would be useful as well. If you are brand new to all of this, you will want to get CakeTalking from Dancing Dots, which will both give you access to the Sonar program, plus a 400 page tutorial.

Here's the course page for the mixing course:
http://online.berklee.edu/courses/art-of-mixing

Chris

** or send a message, to ** goodfeel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq

** or send a message, to ** goodfeel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq