[gmpi] Re: wrap up 3.8 - gesture start/end

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:03:38 +0100

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 01.17, Marc Poirier wrote:
[...]
> > Nope. An automation sequencer could have *hundreds* of control
> > inputs. How on earth do you know which ones belong together...?
> > Just assume that all inputs that go to record enabled tracks
> > belong to the same "gesture"?
>
> Is an automation sequencer actually going to be generating
> parameter change gestures?  I don't think so. It will be sending
> parameter changes to the plugin, that's all.  It's not recording
> automation, it's outputting automation.

So, how are you going to get anything into the sequencer? :-)

*Something* will have to be connected to all your controllers, so you
record from them, though it doesn't have to be the sequencer used for
playback. I think it would be in most setups, though, unless the
system is split into lower level objects.

> > > Hmmm, I did just think of something, though.  For undo or touch
> > > automation, you want to capture the state of the parameter(s)
> > > in the gesture before any changes occur, so in other words,
> > > when you get the gesture-start event.
> >
> > Well, yeah - but since you're a control input, you already know
> > your state. (If not, capture/release would have to be equivalent
> > to connect/disconnect.)
>
> Who's a control input?  I was talking about the host, generally.

Whoever needs to understand capture/release events would be someone
with control inputs - or there's nothing to handle capture/release
for. It could be the host, or a GMPI plugin.

I think GMPI should support both ways of doing it. Probably means the
system will look a little like a microkernel (the host) with
processes (plugins) handling pretty much everything but the lowest
level stuff. The event system would correspond to the message based
IPC system that most microkernel OSes use.