[gmpi] Re: channels, resources and other stuff

  • From: Marco Ballini <marcoballini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Oct 2003 04:23:08 +0200

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 18:33, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I'd like also to understand the exact goals of this API (for example if
> >you could add, remove plugins or change connection between them while
> >others are running).
>
> i don't think that this has been defined. its really part of the
> host-side SDK rather than the plugin API per se.

Yes but the API must be designed in order to allow that in a good way,
if we think that this is needed. That's why I consider it an API
requirement.

> >- How multiple voices are handled in a synth plugin?
> >(This led my to my definition of channels.)
>
> its up to the plugin how it maps voices to its outputs. the API says
> nothing about it.
>
> >- Is there an agreement on what a "channel" is?
> >How would you handle a mixer with arbitrary inputs? (I use channels for
> >that)
>
> this has been discussed. you'll have to read the archives for
> more. the proposals here are quite complex.

Ok, I'll look for them.

> >- Will network plugins be allowed (plugin that contain other plugins in
> >a graph. in that case the host could be a thin layer around a network
> >plugin)?
>
> there are no restrictions on what a "network" or "shell" plugin can
> do, as long as it follows the API. there is some evidence from the VST
> world that such plugins require an additional interrogation API
> (e.g. VST's new shell plugin stuff, written to handles Waves plugins).

Same as above (sorry for copy and paste, but I'm too tired now to
elaborate): Yes, but the API must be designed in order to allow that in
a good way, if we think that this is needed. That's why I consider it an
API requirement.
What I mean is: if we want to allow a network plugin and sequencer
plugin, they not only must be possible, but we probably will need some
extra interfaces to make them work well (from the point of view of
features and usability).I'm thinking of an implementation where those
extra interfaces are used also for other goals.

> >- Will sequencer plugins be allowed (on the same graph level of the
> >plugins it controls)?
>
> of course. did you read steve harris' summary of the types of data
> that are proposed? "music" data is a notation for "something like MIDI".

Same as above.

Thanks for your answers.
Ciao,
Marco