[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:24:34 +0100 (CET)

> >> What does this mean?
> >
> > When you have normalized parameters corresponding to
> > physical or musical data, it would be useful for the
> > host to have a hint to convert them to "natural"
> > values and to classify them by units. I.e. you can
> > set in Hz or pitch a plug-in parameter expressed in
> > seconds (makes comb filter from a delay).
>
> Why bother with normalized parameters then?
>
> In AU world you specify name, min, max, default value, entity (indexed,
> dB, Hz whatsoever) and some flags like "Hi res", "Writable", "Readable"
> etc. for a parameter plus (optionally) value strings and everything is
> clear to the plug and it's outside environment.
>
> If your process needs to have another scale than say -100% to +100%, it
> can easily transform that.

That's exactly what I thought, Urs.  ;)  The only thing that I would like
to see extended about the AU system is another parameter attribute
specifying the value distribution curve.  There could be constants for all
of the popular ones (exp, squared, sqrt, log, pow, etc.) and perhaps even
a "custom" option which then would require the plugin to specify a custom
curve function, but maybe that's not even necessary.  As it is now, the
curve can be implied by the parameter unit type (i.e. Hz probably ought to
use a log curve, etc.), but making it explicit would be an improvement, so
that generic UIs could be extra nice.  :)

Marc