[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events/MIDI

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:22:12 +0000

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:26:18PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> In deference to Ron's hold-off request, my last replies on MIDI for
> now.  I think it's converging.  Replies to Steve, Koen, & Tim all
> included below.

OK, quick summary of my current thoughts: (mostly for my benfit)

All the common cases should be handlable without touching MIDI bytes.

Unparsed SysEx (and probably raw MIDI packets) are neccesary, but raw MIDI
might have ot be parsed back into the internal GMPI representation by
hosts that do MIDI<->GMPI control mapping, otherwise a raw midi sequencer
would not be compatible with a pure-GMPI synth.