[gmpi] Re: Nothing since June?

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:32:24 +1300

> so how should the GUI be handled
> for easiest conversion later?  I haven't seen *anything* on GMPI

The draft GMPI spec is offline at present unfortunately.

The general gist is, in order to record automation on any control movements, the host mediates between the GUI and the DSP.

[GUI]<-->[Host]-->[DSP]

This contrasts with VST where DSP and GUI are more tightly coupled.

In order to accommodate different windowing systems and toolkits, GMPI does not specify how you draw the GUI. I guess you'll be provided only a window handle (HWND) and an Interface to the host...

IGmpiHost->SetParameter(..)  // pseudo code

..in turn your GUI exposes it's own interface to the host, this provides for host-automation of the gui parameters...

IGmpiGui->OnParameterUpdate(...)

With VST plugins, VSTGUI is a separate SDK to ease GUI construction. I'm not familiar with VSTGUI but I imagine we can connect VSTGUI to GMPI somehow, perhaps via an adapter.

So you could either write a GUI-less plugin, or use VSTGUI if that suits.

I'm attempting to write my own Host<-->GUI interface at present. The current design supports:

-Getting and Setting: float, int, bool, raw-binary, and string parameters.

-Displaying a pop-up menu above a control on behalf of the host "MIDI-Learn|MIDI Un-Learn|etc".

Anyhow that's my take on the GMPI GUI so far, hope I'm not out-of-line.

Best Regards,
Jeff