[gmpi] Re: DirectShow review

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:49:34 -0700

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 07:27:21PM -0400, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >    Arbitrary data types are supported.  99% of all commercial

> > Can you elaborate on HOW?
>
> I don't understand the question.  Data is put in a buffer, assumed to

I meant - how are arbitrary type supported?  If I want to do math in
supa-precicion 121 bit floating point, how do I define that?

> > How does a plugin indicate this, and how does it work?  Host
> > decided?
>
> Not indicated by plugin, nor asked for by host.  DirectShow is a
> so-called "baton passing" buffer model.  If you process in place, you
> party on the baton you were given and pass it along.  If you don't,
> you ask the host's memory allocate for a new baton to fill and pass
> along.

I knew that, I just wanted it on the record.  I still like that model.

--
Notice that as computers are becoming easier and easier to use,
suddenly there's a big market for "Dummies" books.  Cause and effect,