[gmpi] Re: BeOS API summary

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:33:23 -0700

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 08:48:01AM -0500, Ben Loftis wrote:
> It is very terse but I hope it answers the needed questions.  Personally I
> think the BeOS API exemplifies many of the issues we have discussed...
> threading, time representation, parameters and audio formats.  A lot of
> thought obviously went into this design;  It would be nice to see it
> perpetuated.

Not to compain too much, but there's hardly any meat there.  The reviews
need more meat so we can figure out what is good and bad about each system.
Just answering 'yes' or 'no' doesn't help. Tell us how things work, what is
good and bad about them, what is worth keeping and what is worth changing.

Thanks for the review - I know nothing about BeOS.

5:
        What is threaded and what isn't?  Are plugins re-entrant?  Are
        functions re-entrant?  Who does locking?  How?  From what contextx are
        functions entered?  Why is this good or bad?

5.1:
        What do those functions operate on, and what do they do?

6:
        What are those time sources used for?  Why are they good/bad?  Are
        there time stamped events?  What are they stamped with?

7.1.1:
        Interleaving is supported.  How about non-interleaving?  How is it
        supported?  How about multi-channel beyond stereo?  Does it work
        well, or does it have problems?  What problems?

7.1.2:
        How are arbitrary data type provided?

7.1.4:
        Tell us more about connection negotiation.  Is it good?  Does it
        work well?  How complicated is it or how simple is it?

7.2:
        All processing can not be done in place, unless the host provides
        temp buffers.  Does it?  What is the API like?  Does it work well?

Continue in-depth for 8-18..