[ggo-discussion] Re: glGo 1.1 beta

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:51:26 +0100

Jarkko Lindblad wrote:

> In addition to having the two different time alarm settings, there could
> also be an option like: "Count down the last n seconds" - if selected
> the last n seconds would always beep.

Tango has a nifty time warning system. I don't like the client much
otherwise, but the time warning is interesting. It's basically a
relative instead absolute limit, so let's say warning at 20% of the 30
seconds is different than 20% of 10 minutes. But this doesn't work too
well with canadian times. 10 seconds for 1 stone is different than 10
seconds for 10 stones.

Will think about it, for 1.1 release I do the two seperate warning
entries as mentioned before, and worry about a more sophisticated system
later.

> Also it would be nice if the beep
> sound could be user defined - I find the current one to be a bit irritating.

You can replace all glGo sounds. Just replace the *.wav files in the
glGo\share directory with your own sound. Needs to be in WAV format and
have exactly the same filename (1.0 had OGG, changed to WAV in 1.1).

> I do think that the player list should be redesigned anyhow - it is kind
> of messy now. Also the filter implementation is of limited usefullness -
> even though I've defined a couple of filters, I actually never use them
> as I am not that interested in only seeing the players who do not know
> how to resign or whatever :)

I for example have a flag "Interesting". Players I don't consider my
Friends. I dont chat with them, I dont play with them, but I like to
observe them. So I find it quite useful to switch the list to display
those guys only when I am looking for a game to observe.
Maybe having the possibility to define filters which do NOT show that
player is an idea, so you can filter escapers etc. away.

 > I find the Match Settings-field to be especially messy.

I agree. The info is too much to display everything in the table. But
displaying nothing in the table is bad as well. If you are looking for
some nmatch candidate, you'd want to see if that guy has defined slow or
fast games *before* matching him. So something needs to be in the list.
And you don't want to open 20 playerinfo dialogs first before sending a
match.

What I have in mind for somewhen later is to add a filter possibility
which only shows players which fit your own nmatch settings (or
possibily another user-defined range):
"Show me all players from 3d-2k who play 1-10 mins + 8-10 mins for 20-25
stones and proper handicap".
Basically that "scan" for the right match conditions manually you are
doing now manually can be done by the client.

I have a couple of ideas for the interface, but I will worry about that
after 1.1 release. I'm happy if the thing basically works now.
Implementing the new time system was quite tricky. Not because it's any
complex, but to not break the old "match" command and keep compatibility
with other clients.

> Btw, what is Prebyoyomi, which always seems to be 0 - 0?

No idea. Not used currently. Panda-Egg doesn't use it either, so if
you'd set this, you'd not be able to find any opponent to play with.

Peter