[ggcsquicksig] Updating from Quicken 2006 to 2009

  • From: "Babette" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SIGLIST" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:23:43 -0700

For those of us who are holding on to Quicken 2006 until the last moment (with
the excuse of wanting to wait until we finished taxes <g>), we'll have to bit
the bullet and make the change by the 30th of April.
A couple of people have told me that they think they lost their online data for
Bill Pay and onine banking from within Quicken.  So, today I decided to capture
the data with printouts so I'd have it handy if this happens to me.

If you are using the Quicken Pin Vault, (which stores your pin numbers or
passwords that have to be entered when Quicken logs onto your finacial accounts
either for transaction downloads or bill pay), you access the Pin Vault from
the Online Menu Bar in Quicken 2006, , click on Pin Vault and then on Edit.
    This requires you to enter your Pin Vault password (good protection).
    One of the options on the Pin Vault screen is PRINT, and it prints out the
name of the Financial Institution and the password Quicken uses to access each
on for downloads.

You also can print out the Online Payee List if you use Bill Pay from within
Quicken.  The Online Menu also contains the "Online Payee List" option.
    ENTERING THIS LIST MENU DOES NOT REQUIRE A PASSWORD
    I found this shocking...it prints out the payee's name, account number,
address, and phone number, and anyone who walks up to your computer if you
leave Quicken open, can access it.  For that matter, IF YOU DON'T PASSWORD
PROTECT YOUR QUICKEN PROGRAM, anyone who uses the computer can open quicken and
access the information.

I have my Quicken files password protected, and I urge you to consider doing so.

NOTE:  If you have archived files, or at various times made copies of a file in
order to reduce its size, but also kept the older large file, REMEMBER TO
CONVER ALL ARCHIVED AND SAVED FILES TO THE NEW FORMAT EACH TIME YOU UPGRADE TO
A NEW VERSION OF QUICKEN, so it is easy to open them if you are searching for a
transaction.

    Also, if you change passwords from time to time, be sure to keep tract of
the passwrod used for the archived files if it is different from your current
password, or update the password on archived files when you convert them to the
new version format.
GGCSQUICKSIG is the Email list for members of the Golden Gate Computer
Society's Quicken Special Interest Group.

TO SEND A MESSAGE TO SIGLEADER BABETTE BLOCH "OFFLIST" -
     Email to: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx

   In the "Subject": line, type "unsubscribe" (without the quotes).