[ggcsquicksig] Transfer from one account to another - IN REPLY TO IRMA

  • From: "GGCSQUICKSIG" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SIGLIST" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:47:21 -0700

IRMA messaged the following to me at another Email address:
Hi Babette,

When I try to save a transaction, a transfer of $2000 from my savings to my
checking account, I get the message:  you are recording a transfer back into
the same account.  Do you want to continue?  This is puzzling, because in
the category field in the savings register I have "savings".  In the payee
field I have "to checking".

Also, the total in my savings is already correct.  If I successfully record
this transfer from my savings account, then that account will not show the
correct total.

Irma...if you transfer funds from Savings to Checking, you must put the name of
the CHECKING account in the Category field (with square parentheses around it;
The transaction would look something like this:

Txf    8/24/2012    Transfer to Checking        200.00
     [Checking Account]

In other words, if you are working in the Savings account register and want to
transfer money to checking account, the Catgory line will show the name of the
account TO WHICH you transfer the money.

It sounds to me, from your description, that you were in the Savings account
register to transfer money and put in the name of the SAVINGS account itself.
Which is why you got the message about "transfer back into the same account"

After you complete and enter the transfer to checking correctly, the Savings
account should show a balance that reflects the transfer out of Savings to
Checking.  I'm not sure what you mean about the Savings account showing the
correct balance.

Hope this makes sense for you.

Babette
GGCSQUICKSIG is the Email list for members of the Golden Gate Computer
Society's Quicken Special Interest Group.

TO SEND A MESSAGE TO SIGLEADER BABETTE BLOCH "OFFLIST" -
     Email to: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx

   In the "Subject": line, type "unsubscribe" (without the quotes).